This is your new blog post. Click here and start typing, or drag in elements from the top bar.
Use vocabulary slueth to practice word recognition and word analysis. Find a challenging vocabulary word from the independent novel you are reading. Follow the directions to solve the mystery of the word meaning.
Be sure to list the following in order and please number each step:
1. Show how your word was used in the book. Quote a sentence(s). How did you use context clues to gain meaning of the unfamiliar word?
2. Define the new vocabulary word in your own words.
3. Include its part of speech. (noun, verb, adjective, adverb)
4. Use this word in a sentence? Provide enough detail in your sentence showing context clues.
5. Go beyond! If you know it, show it! Choose any two of the following:
a. Mention synonyms and/or antonyms of
b. Are there additional meanings? How could
you use this meaning in a sentence?
c. Are there other forms of this word? Can it be used as a noun, verb, adjective, or an adverb? Provide an example.
d. Create an analogy for your word.
e. Does it have a favorable or negative connotation? Explain.
f. How do the prefixes, suffixes, or roots help to gain meaning of the word?
g. Can you create a simile, metaphor, hyperbole, pun...(figurative language)?
h. STUDENT CHOICE!!!
Be sure to read other Vocabulary Sleuth posts and feel free to comment often! Possibilties include:
How will you use the word?
Have you seen/heard this word before? Explain.
Do you have additional synonyms or antonyms?
There are many possible ways to respond! Make your response thoughtful and creative!
My purpose of having weekly blogs is to offer an opportunity to extend our learning from the classroom to to a more collaborative and interactive forum. Each month I will introduce a new and engaging topic, each designed to increase literacy and technology skills.