More Practice for Word Study. Click on the link below.
1. Choose one activity from PREFIX section. What is the name of the activity you chose?
2. What did you need to do on the activity? Explain
3. Was the activity helpful?
4. Choose one activity from SUFFIX section. What is the name of the activity you chose?
5. What did you need to do on the activity? Explain
6. Was the activity helpful?
A suffix is a word part added to the end of a word. It changes the meaning of a word. -ion, -tion and -ness are suffixes that are used in many words. Action, connection, and goodness are all words that have the suffixes -ion, -tion and -ness in them. Do you know of any other words that have the suffixes.
- act + ion = action
- connect + tion = connection
- good + ness = goodness
Click on the link below to practice. Read the directions and play the Suffix Division Game. This will check your prior knowledge of suffixes. Play as many times as you need to ensure your understanding.
1. Search resources or the internet and make a list of 5 suffixes and their meanings.
a. Use what you have learned and apply it to your guided reading novel or other reading examples to find one suffix while you read.
b. Define the suffix you found.
c. The name of reading resource
d. The page number of the resource
3. Add a suffix to one of the following words and use it correctly in a sentence.
Hint: ing, ous, ary, ion, ful, ate, ive, ism, ise, or, wise, ist
1. speak __________
2. fame __________
3. criticise __________
4. honor __________
5. pollute __________
6. force __________ BE SURE NOT TO
7. nerve __________ USE A WORD IF A
8. liquid __________ CLASSMATE HAS USED
9. special __________ IT BEFORE YOU.
13. clock __________
16. art __________
18. expense _______
19. help _______
20. translate ______
21. piano ______
22. like __________
A prefix is placed at the beginning of a word to modify or change its meaning.
Watch this video for some examples of ways prefixes change the meanings of words.
Now here is a link for two games to practice prefixes to help in your understanding.